Understanding iOS Updates
iOS updates are essential to your device because they ensure that your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch performs well and that it has the latest features. However, there are times when you don’t want to upgrade your device; this may be because there has been a lot of negative feedback about the new update, or maybe due to insufficient storage space on your device. If you find yourself in this situation, you don’t have to worry as you can cancel the update before it installs completely. In this article, we will guide you on how to cancel iOS update.
The first step is to check if your iOS device has already downloaded the update. To check, go to your Settings>General>iPhone Storage. On the iPhone Storage page, you will see a list of apps, and the space they take up on your device, but you should scroll down to find the option labeled ‘iOS’. If iOS is not shown on your phone, then you do not have any iOS updates already downloaded on the device. However, if it is present, click on it to view the update status.
If you have not yet downloaded the update, the option will be ‘Download and Install’. However, if the installation of the update has started, you will see an option labeled ‘Cancel Update’ below the progress bar. Clicking on this option will stop the installation process and delete the update files from your device.
If the update is already installed, you have the option to delete the update and to turn off automatic updates altogether. To delete the update, go to Settings>General>iPhone Storage, then scroll down and click on ‘iOS’. On this page, click on ‘Delete Update’. But if you would like to turn off automatic updates, head to Settings>iTunes & App Store. In the iTunes & App Store settings, scroll down to find the ‘Automatic Downloads’ section and toggle the switch off for ‘Updates’.
In conclusion, canceling an iOS update is easy, and it’s a good option if you do not want to update your device due to various reasons. Remember, after canceling the update, it is advisable to turn off automatic updates to ensure that your device does not download the update in the future without your consent. We hope that this article has helped you understand how to cancel iOS updates.
Reasons to Cancel an iOS Update
Updating an iOS device is an essential process that every iOS user must go through. However, sometimes, the features that come with the update may not be desirable, or it may cause several problems that make users wish to cancel the process. Cancelling an iOS update may seem like a daunting task for some; however, it is a simple process that every iOS user should know. In this article, we will explore some reasons why users need to cancel an iOS update and how they can do it.
Reason 1: Limited Storage Space
One significant reason to cancel an iOS update is the limited storage space on the device. When an update is available, iOS prompts users to download and install it. The available update can be quite significant, and it is not uncommon to see updates over 1GB. This update size could be a problem for users whose device’s storage space is almost full. Installing the update requires sufficient space on the device, and if it is not available, the update process may fail, leaving the device in an unusable state. Hence, cancelling the update becomes necessary.
Cancelling an iOS update because of limited storage space requires a bit of preparation. Before attempting to download the update, it is essential to check the available storage space on the iOS device. To check the storage space on an iOS device, go to the “Settings” app, tap “General,” and then tap “iPhone Storage” or “iPad Storage” depending on the device. This feature shows how much storage space is currently available on the device. If there is insufficient space, users can delete some files, apps, or media to create more space for the update. If none of these works, cancelling the update becomes necessary.
Reason 2: Poor Internet Connectivity
Poor internet connectivity is another significant reason users may want to cancel an iOS update. Downloading an update requires a stable internet connection with sufficient bandwidth. If the internet connection is poor, the update may fail to download, resulting in a state where the device is not updated, and the previous state of the device is not restored. This could result in vulnerabilities and bugs in the device’s OS, impacting the device’s performance.
To cancel an iOS update because of poor internet connectivity, it is essential to check the current status of the download. This can be done by going to the “Settings” app, tapping “General,” and then tapping “Software Update.” This feature shows the current status of the update and if it has failed, a message will appear, indicating the same. If the update has failed, users should check their internet connection and ensure that it is stable. If the internet connection is alright, users can try again; if not, cancelling the update becomes necessary.
Cancelling an iOS update is not hard, and it usually takes a few simple steps. When users choose to cancel the update, iOS restores the device to its previous state before the update prompt. As a result, users can continue to use the device and wait for a better time or prepare adequately before attempting another update installation.
How to Stop an iOS Update in Progress
If you are an iOS user, you might have experienced the inconvenience of being interrupted in the middle of your phone usage due to an automatic iOS update. While it is important to keep your phone system up to date, it can also be frustrating to have your phone update at a time when you need it the most. Fortunately, there are ways to stop an iOS update in progress. Here are some ways to do it:
Method 1: Delete the iOS update file
If you are currently downloading an iOS update, you can stop it by deleting the update file that is currently being downloaded. Follow these steps:
- Go to Settings > General > Storage & iCloud Usage.
- Tap Manage Storage.
- Locate the iOS update that you want to delete and tap on it.
- Tap Delete Update and confirm by tapping on Delete Update again.
After following these steps, the iOS update file will be deleted from your phone, and you will no longer receive notifications to update your system. However, this does not mean that automatic updates are turned off.
Method 2: Turn off Automatic Updates
If you want to avoid unexpected updates completely, you can turn off automatic updates on your iPhone. Here are the steps to follow:
- Go to Settings > General > Software Update.
- Tap Automatic Updates.
- Toggle off the switch for Automatic Updates.
After turning off Automatic Updates, your phone will no longer automatically update to the latest iOS version. You can still manually update your phone whenever you want by going to Settings > General > Software Update.
Method 3: Use iOS System Recovery Software
Note: This method should only be used as a last resort since it is more advanced and requires a third-party software.
If you accidentally started an iOS update, and your phone is currently stuck in the middle of the update process, you can try using an iOS System Recovery software to fix the issue. This software works by repairing the system without losing any data. Here are the steps:
- Download and install an iOS System Recovery software on your computer (such as Dr. Fone, Tenorshare ReiBoot, etc.).
- Connect your iPhone to the computer.
- Follow the instructions on the specific software that you use to start the recovery process.
After following these steps, your iPhone should be restored to its normal state, and the stuck iOS update should be cancelled.
In conclusion, being able to stop an iOS update in progress is essential when you need your phone the most. Whether you opt to delete the iOS update file, turn off automatic updates, or use an iOS System Recovery software, these methods will help you avoid the inconvenience of phone interruptions and keep your iPhone running smoothly.
How to Cancel iOS Update: A Guide to Preventing Future Software Upgrades
Preventing Future iOS Updates
After going through the process of canceling an iOS update, you might be wondering how to prevent future updates from appearing on your device. Apple can be quite persistent when it comes to pushing out software updates, sometimes even making it difficult to avoid them. However, there are a few things you can do to ensure that future iOS updates are not automatically downloaded and installed on your device without your consent.
Here are some ways to prevent future iOS updates from appearing on your device:
Turn off Automatic Updates
If you’re not fond of automatic updates, you can turn them off and install updates manually. Follow these steps:
1. Go to Settings > General
2. Tap on Software Update
3. Tap on Automatic Updates
4. Toggle the switch off
With this setting turned off, your device will no longer download new iOS updates automatically. When an update becomes available, you will receive a notification asking if you would like to download and install the update manually. This gives you more control over when and how updates are installed on your device.
Delete the Update from Storage
If you mistakenly downloaded an update and do not wish to install it, you can delete it from storage to prevent further notifications. Here is how:
1. Go to Settings > General > iPhone Storage
2. Scroll down to find the iOS update
3. Tap on the software update, then tap on Delete Update
After deleting the update, it will no longer be stored on your device, so you won’t be able to install it unless you download it again. This is a handy way to remove the update from your device and avoid receiving any more notifications about it.
Use a Custom Profile
If you’re proficient in creating custom device profiles, you can create one that blocks iOS updates. Alternatively, you can download pre-made profiles that have been designed for this purpose. Here is how:
1. Go to Settings > General > Profile
2. Tap on the existing profile or create a new one
3. Turn on the option that blocks iOS updates
If a custom profile is installed on your device that blocks iOS updates, you won’t receive notifications or reminders about new updates. However, you won’t be able to download and install updates either, so be sure to remove the profile if you change your mind.
Use a VPN
Another way to prevent iOS updates is by using a VPN. When you connect to a VPN, your device assumes a new IP address, making it difficult for Apple to track your device and push updates through to it. Here is how:
1. Download and install a reputable VPN app on your device
2. Connect to a server in a different country
Once you are connected to a VPN, your device will appear to be in a different location and may not be able to receive software updates or notifications relevant to your actual location. However, using a VPN is not a foolproof solution as Apple can still try to push updates to your device using other mechanisms.
Preventing iOS updates from appearing on your device is not too difficult if you know how to do it. By following these steps, you can be in charge of when and how updates are installed on your device, giving you greater control over your device’s settings and operations.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Canceling iOS Updates
Updating your iOS device is important for it to function well and be secure. However, there are times when you might be required to cancel the update due to certain circumstances. Canceling iOS updates have their advantages and disadvantages that you need to consider before making your decision.
Advantages of Canceling iOS Updates
If you decide to cancel the iOS update, it can have the following advantages:
- Avoidance of Bugs: Sometimes, iOS updates have bugs that Apple needs to fix quickly. If you delay your update, you might avoid getting these bugs. This can save you time and avoid frustrations caused by bugs that can affect your device’s performance and functionality.
- Save Storage Space: iOS updates can take up a significant amount of storage space. If you don’t have enough available space on your device, canceling the update can save you from having to delete your files and apps. This can help you avoid losing important data and files, and it is cost-effective since you don’t have to purchase additional storage space.
- Avoidance of Compatibility Issues: Updating your iOS device may cause compatibility issues with some third-party software installed on your device. This is because some applications that are not up-to-date might not be compatible with the new iOS update. By canceling the update, you avoid any compatibility issues.
Disadvantages of Canceling iOS Updates
Canceling iOS updates can also have some drawbacks that you need to consider before making your decision. These disadvantages include:
- Security and Privacy Risks: iOS updates address specific security loopholes and vulnerabilities that can make your device more prone to hacking or malware attacks. By canceling the updates, you expose your device to security risks and compromise your privacy as well.
- Lack of New Features and Improvements: Every iOS update comes with new features and important improvements that enhance your device’s performance and functionality. By canceling the update, you miss out on these features and improvements that can have a significant impact on how you interact with your device.
- Lack of Technical Support: If you experience any technical issues with your device, Apple’s technical support team may ask you to update your device to the latest version of iOS. If you don’t have the latest update, it can be difficult to get support for any technical issues you might be experiencing with your device.
- Outdated Software: Canceling updates can make your device’s software outdated and incompatible with new applications. You might experience issues running new applications and software developed for the latest version of iOS if you don’t update your device regularly.
- Reduced Performance: Not updating your device can cause a decline in its performance and speed. This is because outdated software is more prone to technical issues and tends to require more power, leading to slower performance.
By understanding the advantages and disadvantages of canceling iOS updates, you can make an informed decision based on your individual circumstances. It is recommended that you regularly update your device to ensure maximum performance, security, and privacy. However, in some situations, it might be more appropriate to delay the update until it is convenient for you.