Assessing the Damage
Oh no! You accidentally cracked your laptop screen. This is not an uncommon situation. Whether you dropped your laptop, sat on it or it was damaged by something else, it is not something you have to replace right away. Although replacing the screen is the best option, there are some things you can try first before investing in a new one. Before starting to fix your cracked screen, you need to assess the damage. Here are some tips on how to assess the damage:
- Check for visible damages: Start by checking the extent of the damage on your screen. If you see visible damages like cracks, chips or discoloration, you may take steps to fix the issue. However, if your screen has a black or white spot, it could indicate problems with your LCD or LED.
- Assess the functionality of the screen: Before initiating any repair project, check if your screen is still functional. If your screen is still working, it means that the damage is superficial or limited to the exterior. However, if the damage is severe, there is a possibility that the screen might not work properly. In such a case, you may have to replace the damaged screen entirely.
- Test the display: Connect your laptop to an external monitor. This would help you to verify if there are any other underlying issues. If you don’t have an external monitor, you can try connecting your laptop to a TV using an HDMI cable. If you see a display on the external monitor or TV, it is a sign that your graphics card is working correctly. However, if your laptop displays any abnormalities on the external monitor or TV, it could be a sign of internal computer damage, and you may have to take it to a professional for repairs.
- Ensure screen is not loose: After examining the screen, ensure that it is not loosely attached to the hinge by opening and closing the laptop lid. If it is loose, it could affect the screen’s ability to display accurately, and it could be caused by hinge damage or screw issues.
- Check for cracks on the screen bezel: A crack on your notebook’s bezel might look similar to a broken LCD or LED, but it’s frequently much less expensive to replace. Your laptop’s bezel is a plastic frame that surrounds the screen. You may detach the bezel by slowly working your way around the outside and gently popping the clips
Please note that these tips are just a preliminary analysis, and they are not intended to replace a professional diagnosis. You may still need to contact an expert to repair or replace your screen efficiently and safely. However, by evaluating the damage, you will understand its extent and what action you need to take.
If your laptop’s screen just cracked and you don’t have the budget to replace it yet, there are some temporary hacks to keep your device functioning before getting professional assistance or buying a new screen. Even though these hacks will not fix the glass or plastic layer of your laptop, they can give you a short-term solution to get the work done. Let’s discuss some of these temporary fixes in detail.
1. HDMI/VGA Cable: Depending on the model of your laptop, you might have an HDMI or VGA port available. If so, you can connect an HDMI/VGA cable to an external monitor or TV and use it as your laptop screen. This is a simple way to keep up with your work until you get the original screen replaced. Plus, it can also give you the advantage of having a larger display to work on with multiple windows open.
2. Use A Vacuum Cleaner: This is an intriguing trick to remove the broken glass pieces that might be sticking to the screen. Take a vacuum cleaner and a soft-bristle brush attachment to remove all the crumbled pieces from the screen’s surface. Make sure the vacuum is set to a low suction level or you might suck up other important components inside your laptop. This trick will only work if the cracked screen is not causing any other significant issue in the laptop’s functionality.
3. Tape Up The Screen: This hack is more about cosmetically containing the damage than fixing the screen itself. All you have to do is use a tape, preferably duct tape or clear packing tape, to hide the crack lines and stop them from spreading further. Stick the tape on both sides of the screen to avoid any hinge or opening problems. However, this hack will reduce the screen’s clarity and might not be the most professional solution. Use this to prevent the crack from getting worse or damaging anything else around it.
4. Screen Protector: You can find a screen protector or a tempered glass specifically for your laptop’s model online or at any tech store. These protectors are designed to protect your screen from scratches, cracks, and minor bumps. You can temporarily apply the protector on top of the cracked screen, which will stop the crack from expanding and damaging the screen further. This is an excellent hack to extend the laptop’s life while you are waiting for the new hardware.
5. Adjust The Brightness: This trick might sound simple, but it’s a temporary solution that can benefit you when you are working in an emergency. If there is a crack on the top of the screen, where the camera is, you can use the laptop’s brightness adjustment feature to black out that area. This way, you can still see the rest of the screen and use your laptop efficiently. Go to the laptop’s display settings or use the function keys (Fn) to lessen the brightness.
In conclusion, these hacks are meant to help you work through a crack on your laptop screen until you can replace it. However, keep in mind that these temporary solutions will not fix the screen’s damage and might not offer the same display quality as before. Therefore, don’t settle for temporary solutions for too long, and get professional help or replace your screen as soon as possible. Always back up your important data to avoid any unforeseen data loss.
DIY Screen Repair Kits
DIY screen repair kits are widely available in the market and have become a popular choice among laptop users. These kits come with everything necessary to repair the cracked screen. The kits typically include a replacement screen, adhesive, and a set of tools. If you are someone who likes to take matters into your own hands and fix things, then this can be a fun and rewarding project.
Using a DIY repair kit can be a bit complicated if you have never done it before, but with the right tools and guidance, anyone can do it. Most kits come with a set of instructions that guide you through the repair process step-by-step. It is important to read these instructions carefully and follow them closely. If you are unsure about something, then don’t hesitate to consult an online video tutorial or reach out to the manufacturer for assistance.
One of the most critical aspects of using a DIY repair kit is the quality of the replacement screen. It is essential to purchase a high-quality screen that matches your laptop’s make and model. There are several types of screens available in the market, including TN, IPS, and OLED. Each type of screen has its unique set of features and benefits. Make sure to do your research before selecting a screen to ensure that it meets your needs.
Perhaps the most significant advantage of using a DIY repair kit is that it can save you a lot of money. Laptop screen replacement can be expensive if you go to a professional repair shop. Using a DIY kit can cost you a fraction of what you would pay otherwise. This makes it an ideal option for those who are on a tight budget or looking to save some money.
However, DIY repair kits may not be suitable for everyone. If you are not confident in your ability to repair the screen, then it is best to let a professional handle it. Attempting to fix the screen on your own could cause more damage, leading to higher repair costs in the long run. Additionally, if your laptop is under warranty, then opening it up and attempting to repair it could void the warranty.
Before using a DIY repair kit, it is essential to evaluate your skills and experience and determine whether or not you are up for the task. If you do decide to go ahead with the repair, then make sure to take your time and work in a clean and well-lit space. This will help to ensure that the repair is successful and that your laptop is not further damaged.
Professional Screen Repair Services
If you have a cracked laptop screen, don’t panic. There are solutions available that don’t involve replacing the entire laptop. One of the best options is to take your laptop to a professional screen repair service.
Professional screen repair services can fix your laptop screen without the need for you to replace it. These services can be contacted either through the manufacturer, the retailer where you purchased the laptop, or through independent repair shops.
When you take your laptop to a professional screen repair service, they will assess the damage and offer you a quote for the cost of repair. The repair cost will depend on the extent of the damage, the type of laptop screen, and the repair service you choose.
Some of the benefits of using a professional screen repair service include:
1. Professional expertise
Professional screen repair services have experienced technicians who have the expertise to repair different types of laptop screens. These technicians have the necessary training and certification, which gives you peace of mind that your laptop is in safe hands. The technicians use specialized equipment and tools to fix the screen, which guarantees a high-quality repair service.
2. The right tools and replacement parts
The screen repair service has the right tools and replacement parts to fix your laptop screen. They source high-quality parts from trustworthy suppliers, which ensures that your replacement screen will last for a long time. Using the right tools and replacement parts also minimizes the risk of additional damage during the repair process.
3. Quick turnaround time
Most professional screen repair services offer a quick turnaround time, meaning that your laptop will be ready for use in a short time. The duration of repair will vary depending on the extent of damage, but most repairs can be done within a day or two. This is beneficial for those who use their laptop on a daily basis, as they can get back to work once the repair is done.
4. Warranty on repairs
Professional screen repair service offers a warranty on the repair work they do. The warranty varies from service to service, but generally, a warranty of 90 days to 1 year is provided. This means that if there is any problem with the screen after it has been repaired, you can take it back to the service center and get it fixed for free under warranty.
Overall, a professional screen repair service is a great option if you have a cracked laptop screen. It is a cost-effective solution that saves you from having to buy a new laptop. However, it is important to research and choose a reputable repair service that offers warranties, so that you can have peace of mind that your laptop is in safe hands.
Prevention and Maintenance Tips
Having a cracked laptop screen is a nightmare for laptop owners. Not only can it affect the appearance of the device, but it can also hinder your productivity. It’s a costly repair that can set you back a couple of hundred dollars. The good news is, there are several ways to prevent cracks from happening and maintain your laptop screen. Below are some tips you can follow:
1. Use a Screen Protector
The easiest way to prevent a cracked laptop screen is by using a screen protector. It is a clear or matte film that you can affix to the surface of your laptop screen. It provides an additional layer of protection against scratches, smudges, and accidental drops. It is relatively cheap and easy to install. You can find screen protectors that are specifically designed for your laptop model, or you can opt for a universal one that you can cut to fit your screen.
2. Invest in a Sturdy Laptop Case
Another way to protect your laptop from damage is by investing in a sturdy laptop case. It acts as a shield that absorbs the impact of any external forces that can damage your device. When you’re traveling with your laptop, make sure to store it in a padded compartment in your bag. Avoid putting any heavy objects on top of it as well.
3. Handle Your Laptop with Care
This may seem obvious, but it’s worth mentioning: handle your laptop with care. Don’t toss it around or slam it shut. Don’t carry it by the screen or the keyboard. When you’re closing the lid, make sure that there are no objects on the surface or the keyboard that can cause pressure on the screen. When you’re cleaning your laptop, use a soft cloth or microfiber towel to avoid scratches.
4. Avoid Exposure to Extreme Temperatures
Exposure to extreme temperatures can cause damage to your laptop screen. Avoid exposing your laptop to direct sunlight, as the heat can cause the screen to expand and contract, leading to cracks. Don’t use your laptop in extreme cold temperatures as well, as it can cause the screen to become brittle and fragile.
5. Act Quickly When You Notice Any Damage
Lastly, act quickly when you notice any damage on your laptop screen. Don’t wait for the crack to become worse or spread across the screen. When you notice any crack or dent, stop using your laptop and bring it to a professional repair service immediately. Don’t attempt to fix it yourself, as it can lead to further damage that can be costly to repair.
By following these prevention and maintenance tips, you can prolong the lifespan of your laptop screen and avoid the costly repair of a cracked or damaged screen. Remember to handle your laptop with care, avoid extreme temperatures, invest in protection, and act quickly when you notice any damage.